"Explaining the Game" is a feature in which I transcribe conversations explaining hockey to members of my family, friends, colleagues, etc. who don't understand the sport. It's for all of you marginal (Kansas City) hockey fans who may have had similar convos in the past. Hopefully it will help you understand the game a little better using a vernacular familiar to you non-hockey fans. Or maybe these conversations hit close to home. Today's topic of discussion: Non-traditional hockey markets
Earlier this season, watching a Kings–Wild game on NBCSN at my mom's house. My mom's special man-friend walks into the room
Him: What's on?
Him: Oh. (awkward pause) Who's playing?
Me: The Kings and the Wild.
Him: (another pause) Does Kansas City still not have a team?
Him: They had one a few years ago, right?
Me: Kind of. We have the Mavericks out in Independence. That's kind of like "AA" hockey, though.
Him: (squinting at TV) Does that say "LA"? As in "Los Angeles"? Ha! Why do they have a team?
Me: mmmmmmmmmmm (under breath)...go away...
He leaves the room eventually.
The point of this tale being hockey is indeed played in places without traditional winters, so don't act like it's such a crazy thing.
- A Lesson to Young Journalists: "It Takes Two to Li...
- Kansas City Sports Trust is a Thing That Exists, D...
- Open-Air Rink Coming to KC Ice Center in the Fall
- Missouri Mavericks Pass the Cup to The LA Kings, o...
- KCIce: The Best Supergroup Since the Traveling WIl...
- Willie Mitchell is the Happiest Person on this Pla...
- The End of the 2011-12 Hockey Season
- Explaining the Game: Non-Traditional Hockey Market...
- "Laughter and tears are both responses to frustrat...
- This is What Happens When a Team From Los Angeles ...
- Why the Stanley Cup Final Is Better Than a Wedding...
- ▼ June (11)
- ► 2008 (58)
As NHL training caps are just around the corner, let us remember that Kansas City doesn't have an NHL exhibition game. Oh, but there is...
“Let me ask you this,” (Sly) James said. “Which would you rather have, the Pittsburgh Penguins or the Phoenix Coyotes? Who do you think woul...
It certainly seems that way. While the club has made no formal announcement, both his NHLPA.com player profile as well as TSN's Ottawa ...
"This man just got through talking about what the f--- he ain't G-D did...LONG LIVE THE SCOUTS!!!" More on this to come, obvio...
Yes, a post. Imagine that. The plan is from here on out, they happen a lot. No, really. As the draft sits less than 15 hours away, and with ...