John Muckler isn't sitting around on this day off, as he spent the day signing Jason Spezza to a new two-year, $9 million deal.
Yes, that's right. Spezza will be paid as much as Eric Staal this coming season, except the 'Canes got Staal for one more season.
When the Staal deal was signed, I figured it would have an impact on Spezza's contract, but not in the sense that they would be for the same money. Staal was more important to his team and was a major part of his team winning the Stanley Cup. Spezz had a decent, albeit inconsistent, postseason, but the Sens failed to get out of the second round.
If Staal is worth $4.5 million, I figured, at most, Spezza was in the $4 mil area. You might say squabbling over $500K is a waste of time, but in this cap world, half a million bucks is a whole lot, especially for a team like the Sens who will be close against it.
So how in the world can Muckler justify this deal?
I'm all for locking up Spezza long-term but two years isn't a major committment (though that seems to be what the guys are taking to stay; do they know something I don't?).
Spezza had no arbitration rights so his only option was to play hardplay and not report to camp.
Oh, and in case you're wondering...
I'm beginning to wonder if the people at ScotiaBank Place have a plan. I assume they do, but assuming anything with this regime has proven to be dumb in the past.
Even if they unload Martin Havlat, they'll still be way over the self-imposed cap of (supposedly) $40 million.
- ► 2012 (99)
- ► 2008 (58)
- Yeah.... good luck with that
- Good news: Sens ink Schaefer to a new deal
- Catching up on the happenings
- Dog days of summer
- Allow me to be yet another who says WHAT in the He...
- Vermette inked for two more years
- Senators sign three prospects
- Confusion in the swamp
- Sens sign Christoph Schubert?
- What a professional part 2
- What a professional
- Some minor Sens signings to make note of
- Blogroll additions
- Playing coach
- I guess playing the waiting game pays off
- Only 12 weeks away
- A quick clarification
- Muckler speaks out
- Taking it all in
- Too good to be true indeed
- Getting my fantasy GM on
- Just a thought
- Muckler might have his hands full
- Grading the boss thus far
- Spezza kept in the fold, but it's a costly move
- That's it?
- Stevie Y ready to retire
- The weekend's biggest winners
- Where we stand
- Sens sign Martin Gerber
- Any Kings fans wanna help me out?
- This isn't ideal / free agent signing musings
- Happy Canada Day
- On this day, remember one thing:
- ▼ July (34)
As NHL training caps are just around the corner, let us remember that Kansas City doesn't have an NHL exhibition game. Oh, but there is...
“Let me ask you this,” (Sly) James said. “Which would you rather have, the Pittsburgh Penguins or the Phoenix Coyotes? Who do you think woul...
It certainly seems that way. While the club has made no formal announcement, both his NHLPA.com player profile as well as TSN's Ottawa ...
"This man just got through talking about what the f--- he ain't G-D did...LONG LIVE THE SCOUTS!!!" More on this to come, obvio...
Yes, a post. Imagine that. The plan is from here on out, they happen a lot. No, really. As the draft sits less than 15 hours away, and with ...